Those of you who have been stuck with an iPhone 4 baseband 4.11.08 for a long time would know the importance of updating to a new firmware without upgrading a baseband. Which could have saved a lot of users who are currently carrying locked iPhone. Well as you are already aware Apple has launched iPad 3 and with it a new firmware, iOS 5.1. Those of you who wish to upgrade to the new iOS 5.1 without upgrading to a higher baseband should follow this guide.
Preserve Baseband For iOS 5.1
Before you follow this guide here are a few important things to remember:
- This method will upgrade you to the new iOS 5.1 without changing baseband. That means if you are on a lockable baseband you can chose this method to upgrade to iOS 5.1.
- This method to preserve the baseband is for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS
- Those of you who have currently locked iPhone’s should stay on the lowest firmware possible
- This method won’t unlock your iPhone
- Those of you who rely on carrier unlock MUST follow this method to maintain a lower level baseband while upgrading to iOS 5.1.
- This guide is made for Windows OS
Things You Need
Download Redsnow 0.6.10b6
Download iOS 5.1
Update To iOS 5.1 Without Upgrading Baseband
STEP 1: Create a folder and download redsnow from the link above to that folder.
STEP 2: Download iOS 5.1 for your iOS device from the link above and place it in the same folder.
STEP 3: Now extract redsnow 0.9.10b6
STEP 4: Right click redsnow.exe and “Run as administrator”
STEP 5: Open redsnow and select “Extras”
STEP 6: Select “custom IPSW”
STEP 7: Now head back to the folder in which you saved your iOS 5.1 firmware and click open.
STEP 8: Redsnow will customize the IPSW for you to preserve baseband. Once it is done it will show that it has successfully completed it.
STEP 9: Now you need to enter Pwned DFU mood. Click “Extras” and then “Pwned DFU” mood.
STEP 10: Before you click next make sure your iPhone 4/3GS is turned off and plugged in to the computer.
STEP 11: If you already know how to enter DFU mood, do now. If not simply follow the on-screen instructions.
STEP 12: Once the whole process is done you will be in DFU mood.
STEP 13: Now launch iTunes.
STEP 14: Chose your iOS device from the list on the left and then hold down “Shift” and click “restore”
STEP 15: Now select the “NO_BB” IPSW which has been customized.
STEP 16: Well done. If you have followed the steps above correctly you will now be on iOS 5.1 with the same baseband as you previously had.
That’s it folks. If you find any problems while following the guide above to preserve your baseband and upgrade to iOS 5.1 comment below so we can help you out.